Pages

Saturday, May 16, 2015

I'm back and a recipe.

This blog has been sorely and embarrassingly neglected.  I wish I was better about posting content here, but I always feel as though I do not have anything to write about.  I've decided that I am going to seek out things to write about, after all, this blog is about my life, and I do get up and live each day so I should have things to write about, right? 

So today I'll start with a recipe that I made this past week that turned out so well.  It's my take on vegetarian tacos, but they were more similar to fajitas.  This is not based off of any other recipe, and just popped into my mind while wandering the grocery store.  And they were soooo good.  My recipe is below.  Keep in mind that I don't really measure when I cook, so everything is an estimate, and feel free to modify based on your preferences.  Hope you enjoy! 


Zucchini and Sweet Potato Tacos

1 medium sweet potato 
2 small zucchini (or 1 large)
6 oz. white mushrooms
1 can black beans
1/2 medium vidalia onion (Spanish onion would also work)
2 large cloves garlic
1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon cumin
Salt and pepper, to taste
Olive oil
Soft taco shells
Colby-jack cheese (cheddar or a blend would also be good)
Avocado (not pictured, I added it later)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Wash and peel sweet potato, and chop into small chunks.  I made mine about 1/2 inch in size.  Toss in 1 tablespoon olive oil and spread on baking sheet covered with aluminum foil (helps prevent sticking).  Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until pieces are tender.  Remember to mix about halfway through cooking. They should not be mushy, and should keep their form.

2. Wash, and cut zucchini and mushrooms into 1/2 inch chunks.  

3. In a large skillet, add one tablespoon olive oil and add zucchini and mushrooms.  Cook on medium heat until veggies are tender.  Do not overcook!

4. In small saucepan, heat black beans over low heat.  

5. Once zucchini and mushrooms are done cooking, drain 1/2 of the liquid, and pour into medium bowl.  Add sweet potato to bowl.  Mix in chili powder, paprika, cumin, and season with salt and pepper.  
**Next time I might add in a dash of cayenne pepper for a little heat, but I didn't this time and I still thought these turned out great.

6.  Wipe out skillet with paper towel, and add in 1/2 teaspoon olive oil.  On medium heat, add one taco shell to  skillet and allow shell to get lightly brown and crispy.  Make sure to flip shell over so both sides get good and toasty.  Don't skip this step--it totally takes these tacos to another level!

7. Assemble tacos.  Here's how I did mine: Place two taco shells on plate, and fill each one with one large spoonful of black beans, and lots of veggies.  Top with cheese and some avocado chunks.  

8. Enjoy!


xoxo, 
Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment