Pages

Monday, October 27, 2014

A few vacation afterthoughts...

Now that I have restocked my kitchen and created a giant pile of laundry to do, I wanted to jot down one other memories. 

The entire terminal at the Grand Cayman was only slightly larger than one gate at Newark Airport.  There was one food place, and a couple of souvenir shops.  Mike and I were sitting in some chairs in the corner, and the loudspeaker was very hard to hear and understand.  I kept hearing what I thought was a variation of my name from the flight we were waiting for, but I waved it off because I couldn't exactly understand what they were saying.  Eventually, I told Mike that I was going to ask the person at the counter if they were paging me.  I walked up and told them my last name, and the woman said yes, we are paging you.  I was a little nervous because I had no clue what they could want.  I said that they had been pronouncing my name completely wrong--they were saying "Megeen"and were leaving the last letter off my last name.  She looked at the list and said "It's spelled Megane.  We thought you were going to be a man."  Uh, okay.  So she said we were pronouncing as it is spelled...false.  If they were saying it phonetically, it would be said "Megain."  She said "I don't know what the 'E' at the end is from."  Well, I do.  It's the first letter of my middle name.  The reason they had been calling me was because I had been selected at random for a bag search.  Lucky me.  It actually wasn't terrible since they weren't looking for swimsuits, a hair straightener or sundresses.  In the end, it was great because my bag was one of last ones loaded onto the plane which meant it was one of the first ones off and onto the baggage claim.  SCORE!

No comments:

Post a Comment