Pages

Friday, October 18, 2013

Brussels Sprouts

I have an obsession with brussels sprouts.  I discovered this last year, and boy am I trying to make up for lost time.  As a child, I think I was served these baby cabbages once or twice.  And I'm pretty sure I scoffed at the idea of even letting them onto my dinner plate.  Recently, I've decided that I am going to try every vegetable again, and I'm going to try really hard to like every single one of them (beets might make that a very difficult challenge!).  So after seeing this post on that cute little blog, I decided to give them another go.  And I am so happy I did!  The key for me is lots of garlic (duh!) and a good bit of onion.  So, I give you my favorite brussels sprouts recipe.  Enjoy.

Megan's Brussels Sprouts


1 pound brussels sprouts (washed, top layer removed, cut and quartered)

3 or 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 medium onion, chopped (I find that yellow onions work best)
1/4 extra virgin olive oil (maybe a little more)
sea salt and pepper

In large skillet, saute onion in olive oil.  After the onion appears to be browning, add garlic and cook for about a minute.  Add cleaned brussels sprouts and cook until they become a deeper green.  Add salt and pepper, cook a few minutes longer.  Serve warm.  


**Note: I find that I love the sprouts when the leaves are separated with a wooden spoon while cooking.  They get super tender this way.


**Note: I love this dish served with cooked quinoa.  It is a super healthy, complete meal.    



No comments:

Post a Comment